Monday, November 5, 2007

The Evening of 11-3

Well, I blew it. I was sitting in my deer stand. I was focused on a deer that ran off behind me to my left. All I could see was the tail end of it. So I thought I'd try to call it back to me. So I was working hard, thinking I could maybe get it back. When all of sudden I hear a bunch of leaves crushing to my right (bad side for a right hand bow shooter). I knew it was a deer even before I looked. So I slowly turned my head and sure enough out of the corner of my eye, it was a 8 point buck about 10 yards from me.

So now what do I do? I'm sitting looking straight forward and the buck is too my right looking straight at me. I tried to very slowly turn that way but every time I did, he would look a little closer at me. Finally, he had had enough. So he turned to his right and started to walk into thicker woods. So I decided to make my move. I turned to my right and stood up. He didn't hear me because he was making a lot of noise going through the thick woods. I found a spot and decided when he crossed there, I was going to let the arrow go. Well, of course Murphy's law was there and when the buck got there, his butt end was pointing directly at me. I didn't want to shoot him up the butt so I decided to make a little noise to see if I could get him to turn a bit. Well, it worked. The buck turned just a little towards me to see what the noise was. So I let the arrow fly. All of a sudden, the buck jumps up and off to his right he runs. What the heck? Oh crap, I hit the one big branch between me and him. (Murphy's Law) Of course, there sits my arrow.....stuck in the dirty. Dang it!!! Oh well. That's how it goes sometimes.


No comments: